Women's Health

Resource for women's health information, issues, fitness, and lifestyle.

Risk Factors for Alzheimer's disease (AD)

Risk Factors for Alzheimer's disease Aging Aging is still the largest risk for becoming demented, with the prevalence doubling every 5 years between ages 65 and 85 ( 1% at age 65, 5% at age 75 and 15-25% at age 85). Family history of AD Family history of dementia in a first degree relative ( sibling or parent) increases the risk of developing AD fourfold. In persons with two or more affected first degree relatives, the risk...

Estrogen Replacement Therapy

If you are approaching the menopause, discuss the risks and benefits of estrogen replacement therapy with your doctor. Administered over a period of years, estrogen can relieve unpleasant symptoms related to reduced estrogen levels. For women at high risk of osteoporosis, long-term therapy substantially reduces the chances of bone fracture. In addition, some studies show that estrogen lowers the...

Symptoms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

Symptoms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Early Stages: Memory failures Behavioral changes Difficulty in concentration and coordination Visual disturbances Myoclonus (a sudden rapid twitching resulting from the sudden contraction of one or more muscle groups) Extensor plantar reflexes Hyperflexia (exaggerated deep tendon reflexes) Later (after the disease progresses): Pronounced mental deterioration Hemiparesis (muscular weakness or...

Lifestyle Really Does Matter!

Lifestyle Really Does Matter! Many people know that the leading causes of death in the United States are heart disease, cancer, and stroke.When it comes to prevention, however, it is more important to know why people suffer from these conditions. In other words, what are the actual causes of disease or reasons people die? A landmark study titled "Actual causes of death in the United States," published in 2004, shed a lot of...

Preventive Screening: Key to Healthy Lifestyle

Preventive Screening: Key to Healthy Lifestyle Life in the 90's has created many additional pressures on women, who often must juggle their roles as a worker, a wife and a mother. Stress can sidetrack women from a healthy lifestyle and make them more susceptible to disease. This is why preventive screenings are absolutely necessary-especially when concerning the reproductive system. "Women should have annual exams beginning at age 18, or the...

Asthma Hits Hardest At Night, So Should Medication

Asthma Hits Hardest At Night, So Should Medication Expert says traditional treatment ignores timing of severe symptoms. The symptoms suffered by some 10 million Americans with asthma can be as different as night and day, with the time of day often a key factor in their severity, according to an expert who contends the patterns of the disease should be considered when treating it. "The night belongs to asthma," says Richard Martin, M.D., Head,...

Bone Basics for Baby Boomers

Bone Basics for Baby Boomers There are presently millions of "baby boomers" in the United States. Baby boomers...that's the term we give to individuals in this country born between 1946 and 1964...a time in our culture when having babies was all the rage...very much in vogue. The boomers already make up a significant portion of the American population. As we age as a nation, and extend our longevity, too, the boomers will...

General Health Care: Organizational Profiles

General Health Care: Organizational Profiles Physicians Who Care Physicians Who Care (PWC) is a nonprofit organization devoted to protecting the traditional doctor-patient relationship and ensuring quality health care. Formed in 1985 in San Antonio, Texas, the organization now has members in every state, most of them doctors in private practice. The organization believes the responsibility for medical care belongs first and foremost to...

Postpartum Depression

Postpartum depression is a form of depression a mother experiences after the birth of her child. It is a complex mixture of physical, emotional, and behavioral changes and can be divided into three categories: postpartum blues, postpartum depression, and postpartum psychosis. What Is It? Having a baby can be both elating and exhausting. During the first few weeks after giving birth you may feel...

Mother and Child-Essential Message

The Following are The Essential Message Distilled from Facts for Life. The health of both women and children can be significantly improved when births are spaced at least two years apart, when pregnancy is age 18 and after age 35, and when a woman has no more than four pregnancies in total. All pregnant women should visit a health worker for prenatal care, and all births should be assisted by a...

Coronary Heart Disease in Women

Coronary heart disease remains unusual in women before menopause, particularly in the absence of known risk factors like diabetes, hypertension etc. Menopause (permanent cessation of menstruation) usually occurs between 47 to 50 years. Premenopausal women seem to be protected against coronary heart disease morbidity and motality in comparison with men of similar age or postmenopausal women. The...

Take a Mentally Healthy Vacation

Take a Mentally Healthy Vacation Mental Health Association of Colorado would like to offer the following tips to make your vacation mentally healthy. Where you go on vacation, what you choose to do and how long you stay tell a lot about the kind of person you are -- and the kind of person you'll be when you return. Before you make any plans, here is some advice about taking vacations: Shorter vacations taken more frequently are...

Qus & Ans: Immune System Dysfunctions

Immune System Dysfunctions I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I have been through 7 IUI's and 2 IVF's, which have all failed. My AF has come early each time. During the IUI's.....I experienced a raised lymph node behind my ear at 8 or 9 days past the IUI. In the IVF's we used baby aspirin, and subsequently had no raised L.N. until after baby aspirin was stopped. In those cases the node raised a day or 2...

Patient Fact Sheet on Stress and Infertility

Patient Fact Sheet on Stress and Infertility Stress can come from just about anything that you feel is threatening or harmful. A single event (or your worry about it) can produce stress. So can the little things that worry you all day long. Acute stress, caused by a single event (or your fear of it), makes your heart beat faster and your blood pressure go up. You breathe harder, your hands get sweaty, and your skin feels cool and clammy....

Common Fertility Treatment Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

Common Fertility Treatment Mistakes and How to Avoid Them Ms. Elizabeth Paul (not her real name) was my last appointment of the day, and she brought a thick medical file that described all the medical tests and treatments she had been through. She had consulted doctors on three continents, and was now seeking another medical opinion for her problem of unexplained infertility. She had had four laparoscopies, performed by various doctors in different...

Diet for Pregnancy

At no other time in a woman's life is good nutrition more essential than during pregnancy. While the need for calories increases only about 15 per cent, the requirements for some nutrients more than doubles, and a woman needs to plan her diet carefully to meet these needs. In our country the advice of health professionals are vital in providing necessary advice in planning meals for the poor and...

Babies Who Need Special Care

Some babies need special care in hospital, sometimes on the ordinary postnatal ward and sometimes in a Neonatal Unit (NNU), also known as a Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) or Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Babies who may need special care include: babies who are born early - babies born earlier than 34 weeks may need extra help breathing, feeding and keeping warm, and the earlier they are...

When Pregnancy Goes Wrong

When Pregnancy Goes Wrong Unfortunately, not all pregnancies end well. For a few, pregnancy ends with a miscarriage or with the death of the baby. This chapter describes some of the things that can go wrong. If your pregnancy ends in this way, then you will need both information and support. Talk to the people close to you about how you feel and to your doctor, midwife or health visitor about what has happened and why....

Asthma in Pregnancy

The natural history of asthma in pregnancy is extremely variable. Pregnancy can affect the course of asthma & asthma can affect pregnancy outcomes. Severe asthma is more likely to worse during pregnancy than mild asthma, but some patients with very severe asthma may experience improvement, whilst symptoms may deteriorate in some patients with mild asthma. Uncontrolled asthma is associated...

Assisted Reproductive Technologies or Foetal Maternal Medicine

Most couples have an 85 per cent chance of successful conception within a year of attempting to achieve a pregnancy. For the 15 per cent who are not so lucky, a series of assisted reproductive technologies (ART) can be employed to help them achieve their goal. In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF), more commonly referred to as the 'test-tube baby', is the latest and most...