Knife Features of Key Gamma
- Gamma Knife is not really a knife. There is no anesthesia and no incision except for certain cases that require local anesthesia for the frame fixation. It is a bloodless and almost painless procedure.
- It uses Gamma rays that is powerful enough to destroy the undesirable tissues in the brain, such as a tumor or arterio-venous malformation (AVM).
- GK treats a lesion precisely without harming surrounding brain tissues, scalp hair or skull. The precision is so high and definite that a small lesion in a range of I to 2 millimeters is treatable.
- The radiation can access almost any particular area of the brain. It is therefore very useful for the treatment of deeper parts or the base of the brain, which are very difficult to reach by conventional open surgery.
- The volume, strength and direction of the radiation beam are controllable so that it can be adjusted to fit the patient's condition, and diverted from the undesirable area as required.
- There is no chance of infection or need for blood transfusion. No shaving of hair or scar on the scalp results from this treatment.
- There is no lengthy post-operative care or loss of productive life. The patient can return to normal life only a day after surgery.
- It is relatively cheap compared to long hospitalization, antibiotic therapy, rehabilitation process etc. for an open brain operation.
- No death or diability related: to the GK procedure.
- The Gamma Knife website for patients and their families and friends.
- Gamma knife in Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Similar of Knife Features of Key Gamma