Fertility and sexual health

Information about changes in sexual health and fertility.

Qus & Ans: Immune System Dysfunctions

Immune System Dysfunctions I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I have been through 7 IUI's and 2 IVF's, which have all failed. My AF has come early each time. During the IUI's.....I experienced a raised lymph node behind my ear at 8 or 9 days past the IUI. In the IVF's we used baby aspirin, and subsequently had no raised L.N. until after baby aspirin was stopped. In those cases the node raised a day or 2...

Patient Fact Sheet on Stress and Infertility

Patient Fact Sheet on Stress and Infertility Stress can come from just about anything that you feel is threatening or harmful. A single event (or your worry about it) can produce stress. So can the little things that worry you all day long. Acute stress, caused by a single event (or your fear of it), makes your heart beat faster and your blood pressure go up. You breathe harder, your hands get sweaty, and your skin feels cool and clammy....

Common Fertility Treatment Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

Common Fertility Treatment Mistakes and How to Avoid Them Ms. Elizabeth Paul (not her real name) was my last appointment of the day, and she brought a thick medical file that described all the medical tests and treatments she had been through. She had consulted doctors on three continents, and was now seeking another medical opinion for her problem of unexplained infertility. She had had four laparoscopies, performed by various doctors in different...

Incontinence

A term meaning inability to retain urine or control bowel movements, or excessive indulgence in sex. This article deals with the first of these meanings. Incontinence is usual in the very young because they have not sufficient muscular control, and because their bladders have not grown large enough to hold the nightly production of urine. It is important not to punish a child for soiling a happy...

Assisted Reproductive Technologies or Foetal Maternal Medicine

Most couples have an 85 per cent chance of successful conception within a year of attempting to achieve a pregnancy. For the 15 per cent who are not so lucky, a series of assisted reproductive technologies (ART) can be employed to help them achieve their goal. In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF), more commonly referred to as the 'test-tube baby', is the latest and most...

Qus & Ans: Fibroids

Qus and Ans: Fibroids I am a 33 years old indian woman. I have some problems in getting pregnancy.I give my full details here and I want some suggestions from you.I married in Aug'1996. I conceived once but it had aborted after 60 days.On the 48th day, HSG was taken as the gravindex was negative. Follicular tests were good.Is there any solution for this fibroid? It it curable by taking medicines? Is there any latest...

Be A Wise Consumer In The Booming Fertility Industry

Be A Wise Consumer In The Booming Fertility Industry With the birth of the McCaughey's septuplets, fertility care has been thrown into the spotlight in popular magazines and on radio and television. With one in six couples now experiencing some sort of fertility challenge, competition in the industry has become fierce, as patients can sometimes spend tens of thousands of dollars in hopes of attaining that most precious treasure - a child. A recent...

At the Infertility Clinic

The brief review above of the common causes of infertility covers conditions found in about 30 per cent of couples who submit to full investigation at an infertility clinic. Of the other 70 per cent, no obvious cause of their trouble can be found. When a couple attends the infertility centre the exact investigations required depend on the doctor's assessment of the situation. The following are a...

Gonorrhoea in Women

In women, gonorrhoea is most likely to infect the urethra and the canal of the neck (or cervix) of the womb. The outer parts, or vulva, also become irritated by the discharge which subsequently appears. Symptoms In the early stage there is some scalding during the passage of urine, with soreness, discomfort, and a sense of weight in the pelvis. In some cases the vulva becomes greatly inflamed...

Family Planning Can Offer "Dual Protection"

Many of today's couples carefully plan the number of children they will raise, often with the help of modem contraceptive choices available from their physicians or family planning clinics. But against sexually transmitted infections, including the virus that causes AIDS, most modern contraceptives offer no protection. As a result, many family planning clinics are helping their clients understand...

Overweight and Infertile

Overweight and Infertile Even in this age of advanced medical knowledge, many women still struggle with the prejudices that come with being overweight. We're often treated as inferior - socially, professionally, certainly by the fashion industry, and even in the medical community. While being overweight is a medical condition, it is still perceived by many people, including some physicians, as a character flaw. We're...

Your Doctor Menopause

Q.1. What is Menopause? Menopause is the permanent end of cyclic functioning of the ovaries and thus of menstrual periods. Q.2. Usually at What Age Menopause Occur In The Life Of Women? Menopause usually occur around 50 years in the developed countries. In Bangladesh it appears around the age 45. However menopause may normally occur in women as young as 40. Q.3. Why and How Menopause Occur?...

Diet for Menopausal Women and Those with Menstrual Problems

Although it is helpful in counteracting some of the effects of menopause, hormone replacement therapy (HRT) cannot stop ageing. A healthy diet and exercise are the keys to enjoying good health at any age. After Menopause, And for Women Who Have Menstrual Problems Eat Plenty of: Foods high in calcium and vitamin D, such as low -fat dairy products, dark-green, leafy vegetables, and legumes. Iron-...

Qus & Ans: Miscarriage

Qus and Ans: Miscarriage Hello. I have had two miscarriages in the last six months. The second one resulted in a D&C on October 26th. I still have not menstated and my doctor has put me on Medroxy progesterone. My question is can we start trying after I get my period even though it was brought on by medication? Both my miscarriages were early in the pregnancy. Thank you -- Kelly Dear Kelly: Although I don't have a...

Infertility: The Starters Gate

The Starters Gate A few weeks ago we were at the county fair. While roaming around the exhibit buildings, we ran into a couple we sang with in choir a few years ago. Sheîs 40, heîs 30; theyîve been married over a year. They donît have kids, but would like to. When I asked her about it some time ago, she said they werenît having any luck. I inquired as to what they had tried, and she replied they were just -...

Impotence: An Eminently Treatable Problem

Impotence: An Eminently Treatable Problem Impotence, or the inability to achieve or sustain an erection satisfactory for intercourse, is perhaps one of the most troubling medical conditions a man can face. Though impotence is not a fatal condition, and men do not need sex to survive, try telling this to a man suffering from impotence! See if hearing this 'little bit of good news' will cheer him up or make him feel any better. The truth...

Endometriosis: a Painful and Baffling Disease

Endometriosis: a Painful and Baffling Disease Endometriosis affects an estimated 5 million women of reproductive age in the United States, and an additional 500,000 women in Canada. With endometriosis, tissue normally found in the uterus (i.e., the endometrium) is also found in other areas, such as the ovaries, the bowel and the bladder, causing internal bleeding. Scar tissue, inflammation and other problems can develop, resulting in severe...

All You Need to Know About ART

"Then one day, the stork came flying by and dropped off a baby at our doorstep...." For some couples, the wish of having a baby is not easily fulfilled. In fact, as much as 15% of the world's population endure the difficulties of trying to make a baby. The magic formula is not as simple as man-meets-woman. However, help is at hand with the advancement of modern science and technology. Assisted...

Natural Family Planning

What is it and how does it work? Natural family planning (NFP) helps women recognise the fertile and infertile times of their menstrual cycles to plan or avoid a pregnancy. A woman's fertile time (when she can get pregnant) lasts for eight to nine days in each menstrual cycle. An egg lives for up to 24 hours and is released 12 to 16 days before the next period. Sperm can live for up to seven days...

Sterility and Diet

Male fertility may be lowered if there are inadequate amounts of recommended nutrients in the diet. A recent study found that men who consumed 1.4 mg of zinc daily produced fewer sperm and had lower levels of the male hormone testosterone than men whose daily zinc intake was 1.4 mg -the male Recommended Nutrient Intake (RNI) of zinc is 1.2 mg. In addition, inadequate intake of vitamin C may...